We went with a group of 26 from church to Chilca, Peru - back to Hannah's Home. It's an orphanage that now houses 10 kids. To be back down there and to experience that again was precious. I think instead of going through the day to day, I want to share what I have taken back or been most impacted by.
I think the number one thing that struck me that week was something internal. I have always asked God to speak loud. To make HImself very clear and known - in decisions and life in general. I think what struck me in Peru is that I used that as a pretty lazy excuse to not have to dig for Him on my own. Of course God speaks loud. Of course He makes Himself known. And when He does, that's amazing. But for me, in that moment, I just felt like God was saying, "Nope, for YOU, I'm in the quiet moments." That doesn't allow me to just wait for Him to speak loud. It forces me to seek Him out and find out what He has for me. It was a good realization - one that I want to continue to work on.
God speaks to me through kids. That's where I see God's face; where I can really see Him at work. I've been called to work with kids and I'm using my gifts to do so. I love that. So I think it was also cool to just see the little orphans' faces. They are precious, loved, fun, and full of potential. Milagros (who I'll talk about later) even remembered me from 5 years ago! How touching is that?!
One of the days, we marched in Peru's Flag Day Parade. It is one of the biggest days of the year. The kids practice for 4 hours a day for 3-4 weeks. We practiced to make it right - so as not to make fools out of ourselves. It was such an honor to march for Hannah's Home. When we got to the grandstands and municipality, the entire crowd came to their feet, cheered, and thanked us for marching in the parade. I had to pep-talk myself to hold it together - it was just one of those powerful moments where you feel proud, humbled, nervous, and filled with joy at the same moment. It was an honor to represent Hannah's and the United States.
During one of the VBS days, I was making shapes with a little girl using sidewalk chalk. She didn't want to talk or even look at me. So I just kept drawing. Finally, she took her piece of chalk and started to draw exactly what I did and a big smile came across her face. In that moment, all I could think of was, "Be imitators of Christ." Powerful moment.
There are a couple women who stay at the orphanage and help with the kids each day. Dalia and Karen are precious women who are the perfect examples of pure service. To see their love, commitment, dedication, consistency, and affection towards the children was beautiful to see. One night, we gave all the women and girls manicures and pedicures - to make them feel special. I was working on Karen's nails when she looked at me and through a translator said, "No one has ever taken the time to do this for me. This feels so special. You are Christ's hands and feet, coming from afar. Thank you." Tears streaming down my face, I just hugged her and told her that she deserved it and God was smiling down at her for all she has done with her life. A very cool moment to be a part of.
There were 100 more moments that I want to treasure forever. The beach and Ocean Devotion time. The dolphins, The daycare with tons of little kids. The church service on the last day - amazing worship. My roommates - Mary and Alyssa. The bus rides - the scary moments and the good conversation. Having a note from Matt and Siena to open each day. The translators - Jasmin and Mirari (their stories are so powerful). The food. Milagros. Chicken foot soup. Foot washing. Calling home and hearing Siena say "Momma". Etc.
It was a very special trip. I'm thankful for the opportunity, the adventure, the friendships, the conversations. I know I'll be back there again soon. Until then...
Playing on the beach with the kids the first day. The waves were huge and our toes just needed a dip! Fun!
Just one of those moments.
A sweet little boy in the daycare we went to.
Our sweet, precious Milagros.
Painting Karen's nails. A blessing.
Mila painting my nails.
My Peruvian match! One of the only children down there with curly hair!!
Karen and Dalia. Servants at heart.
Mirari.
Jasmin.
Some of my favorites - Mandy and Mary.

PS. I did miss Siena. However, she was in wonderful hands with her Daddy, I was in a place I knew I was supposed to be, I was having a wonderful time...it was a great chance for me to prove to myself that I can be away and it's good for everyone. (I will say one night when I called home, I heard Siena crying in the background. Matt put the phone up to her ear and she stopped crying and said, "Momma? Momma? Peru? Airplane? Helpin' kids?" "Yes, baby, Momma's helping kids right now. I love you and I can't wait to kiss your sweet face." "I love you, Momma." That's a conversation I'll hold onto for a while...)
No comments:
Post a Comment