Friday, August 5, 2011

Smitten with the Mitten

What can I say, I LOVE Michigan summers. There's just something about being up there during the summer that just feels right. And this go-around was a little present wrapped up in a beautiful bow...
As usual, Matt has a few windows of time off in the summer, so we love to make a trip up to Michigan when we can. It just so happened that both my mom and dad were Up North in different areas during our time up there, so it was a TRUE vacation...away from GR. And it was just magical.
We drove to Michigan, got some overnight rest in GR (and picked up Em), and then drove to the Upper Peninsula to stay with Pappa and Joyce in a little slice of heaven. Joyce's brother graciously allowed us to vacation in his little cottage on a peninsula in Lake Huron. It's uninhabited, peaceful, and simply gorgeous. A vacation doesn't get much better than relaxing with the family, surrounded by God's goodness to the fullest.
When we first walked in to the cottage, I had a moment. A moment similar to when I found my wedding dress. Strange as it sounds, when I walked into that place, I instantly felt, "This is it." There was something about that house that I instantly fell in love with. I wanted to have that home for myself to live in for the rest of my life. It wasn't super fancy or big or extraordinary. But it was everything I ever wanted in a house. Clean lines, warm, simple, not too big, open, and just screaming for people to be in it. Do you ever have that feeling in a house? Like it's just meant to entertain and have people in it all the time? I truly feel that's what God calls our family to do - to have coaches, players, teammates, friends, co-workers, and kids over as much as possible. When I stepped into that house, I had that moment. I'm over it now (kinda), but I sure did love that little place...
Moving on (excuse the random bunny trail)...I am not sure I can quite describe our 4 days together better than pictures will show. We sat on the deck overlooking the lake, sailed, read books, drew pictures, stayed up late playing dominoes, cooked, drank great wine (and even better gin and tonics), listened to great music, paddled in a"Looney", and best of all, had great conversation. I think those are just about all the ingredients for an AMAZING getaway.
Before I show pictures, I will share one "not so wonderful moment" (the only one) from that getaway. While we were playing dominoes late one night, all of a sudden, the power went out. Now, in a regular neighborhood, you find a flashlight or candle, figure out what's going on, and continue on. On an island where hardly anyone lives, there are NO lights anywhere, the only way you can get off the island is by boat, and you can't see a thing...different story. I was spooked out of my mind. Really. Your mind does very mean and terrible things to you when you're in a situation like that. Come to find out (after we called around), the electrical company was doing a planned power outage on the island from 12:00am - 4:00am. Two things I have to say about that: One - I did not know about that "planned outage". Two - Really?????? Needless to say, I hardly slept at all that night, I pulled Siena in bed with me and held her tight (and Matt too), and I watched the clock till they put that stupid power back on...all the while, listening to every creek in the house.
Now, to get back to the wonderful moments we had together, here are the pictures. I'll never forget that time together. It was one for the books.


Siena's face, while driving over the Mackinaw Bridge! With the windows down, the music blaring, and the excitement in the air...we are all pretty giddy! :)
Yep, here's the house. In all its glory. Isn't she a beaut?
Opa and Siena...having deep conversations about who knows what. I guess that's between an Opa and his 'meije'.
The girls, sitting on the deck overlooking the lake...relaxing!
Watching Pappa and Matt "sail away, sail away, sail away..."
A sweet conversation between Matt...
...and his little sweetheart.
Siena with her favorite Oma in the world. Boy, did they have fun together. Between cookies made from play dough, walks around the yard, playing with the fake animals in the yard, reading books, playing with Karen (the Barbie doll), and making food together...they were 2 happy campers!! (Momma was too - she got a break!)
Oh, the times I spend with my sister. Love her. (Ps. I hope you notice who is doing the work and who is basking in the sun...that's the way it should be as the oldest, right?!)
An afternoon behind a camera lens never hurt anyone...we just wanted to capture "the moments"...yeah, that's it...
Great minds think alike - blame it on being sisters...
Love this pic.
A hike through the woods to the other side of the peninsula...Lake Huron.

This is a funny series of photos. And no, it doesn't end with us flinging her into the water, although the pictures may appear that way. :)


Momma and the love of her life (aside from my wonderful husband, who I'm sure is reading this too...)


And then to think that we were only HALF done with the vacation! Could it get any better? Oh yes, it could. And it did. After spending 4 glorious days in the UP with Pappa and Joyce, it was time to travel to the other side - or more like down, around, and up again - of Michigan to spend the rest of the vacation with my mom. Camping, here we come!
It was a special time of the year to be up there. It seemed as if just about everyone was there. Lots of family came up camping, friends from years ago and camping when we were little were there...and we got to be a part of it all. Amazing. It was a different kind of vacation than the previous 4 days. There were so many wonderful things to DO on this half. We went wine tasting (which tastes wonderful EVERY time), tubing, skiing, jet skiing, swimming, we played pickle ball (a wonderful cross between tennis, batmitten, and ping pong - fun and worth a try), basketball and cards, had a BYOB adult hayride (they don't call me "triple fister" for nothing!) , Santa came to town for Christmas in July, we celebrated 3 birthdays...I'm sure there were other things that kept us busy, but it was so fun it's hard to remember it all!
Again, the pictures are going to have to do most of the talking. Some parts are just too good for words.

We had so much fun outdoors! The weather was amazing - sunny and warm (not blistering hot like it was in MO at the time). Kari and Siena went for a kayak ride...on land. :)
Siena's 3 princes made her a princess castle in the sand. She loved the "pool" in the middle and the banner that said "Princess Siena" (what girl wouldn't?!)

Both Matt and I took Siena out for tubing ride. She really liked bumping up and down behind the jetski. I guess anything in water, really........

Another one of those beautiful summer sunsets in Northern Michigan. I think God was showing off on this one. Beautiful.
The campground has games and hayrides for the kids each night. Daddy was the lucky one that was chosen to go on the hayride. Not sure who had more fun...

An intense game of basketball, as usual. Aside from the asthma attack, it was a great game! We won, of course.
Santa took time out of his busy schedule to visit the kids. All the kids who sat on his lap got to pick a little treat off the table. Let's just say this: Siena didn't get a treat... :)
...instead, she made Christmas cookies. With pink frosting, of course. What kid isn't happy with cookies and frosting at their disposal?


An extra special treat this year was celebrating Siena's 2nd birthday up north. Kate and Kai also had birthdays around the same time, so we all made it a big party! So fun! Thanks for Grammie for putting the shindig on - the kids (and all the rest of us, too) had a wonderful time! And, as you can see, Siena had NO problem celebrating her birthday a little early.

All the kids out front for the annual kid photo. It really is amazing that we can get them all in one picture.
It's never fun leaving at the end of a vacation. But there were no complaints from us. We were so fortunate to spend time with family. It was one of those weeks that help get you through the days that aren't as fun. We have great jobs that allow us to do this - and we are so grateful! To everyone who helped make it happen, we love you for always.

No comments: