Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Seriously...?!

Okay, so the most bizarre thing happened to me...
My sister Em and her boyfriend James came to visit a couple of weeks ago. We went to the farmer's market to get some fresh produce to make dinner on Sunday. We made some great guacamole, grilled chicken kabobs with peanut sauce, fried rice, corn...it was a great meal! A few days later, I started to notice a really weird "rash" on my hands. It didn't itch, wasn't raised off my skin, wasn't spreading...just a whole bunch of little red dots appeared on the tops of my hands. I wasn't too concerned about it, but called my doctor to see what she recommended and to see what I could take for it. It wasn't going away, so I decided (with Matt's persuasion) to get an appointment with the dermatologist. Come to find out, I got Phytophoto Dermatitis. Sounds scary...but just wait...
When we made the guacamole and the chicken for dinner that Sunday, I used fresh lime juice and cilantro. Sounds innocent, right? Well, apparently, that can pigment your skin when you then go out in the sun. Yes, that's right. The lime juice and cilantro must have gotten on my hands, and then when I was outside eating dinner, the sun caught those ingredients on my skin and created a natural sort of "tanner" that pigmented my skin a darker color. The "rash" turned from a red to what is now currently a deep, golden brown. I'm unprofessionally assuming that it has to do with the mix of hormones in my pregnancy...but the dermatolgist says it can happen to anyone. Of all the fresh limes I've cut for a Corona on a hot summer's day in years past and just now I'm graced with this little skin issue...something seems a little fishy to me. But I suppose it can be an interesting trend to try - need a quick tan? Rub fresh limes and cilantro all over your body (or fennel or a variety of other things the dermatologist rattled off) and you're good to go! It sure does make quite the accessory to outfits though, splotchy dots all over your hands. Ha! I just have to laugh...seriously?! How does that even happen? Oh, and when do these lovely little "juice marks" go away, you ask? The dermatologist said they will gradually fade away. I'm not sure what the timeframe is on fading, but my guess is they will be here a while - maybe little Siena will be able to see her mommy's beautiful hands when I get to hold her in a few weeks!!!!! Ahh, makes for a good story...
These pictures aren't very good and you can't see it too well, but trust me...they are quite the sight.


No comments: