Christmas Eve day was spent with Pappa and Joyce. Siena has affectionately dubbed them "Auppa" and "Aumma" (Opa and Oma, which is Grandma and Grandpa in Dutch). It's just the most precious thing. We had a wonderful meal prepared by Pappa and then a Christmas Eve service at 7th Reformed. When we all made it back to the house, The Event began. You see, Christmas Eve with Pappa and Joyce does not just consist of some quick opened presents and then calling it a day. No, no. You have to gear yourself up for it, and it's a marathon of events. It's so absolutely wonderful. We started about 9:00PM and were still opening our stockings at 3:00AM. We're sharing stories about our gifts, everyone opens them one at a time, we break for food and drinks (many times), fire in the fireplace...it's magical. I hope that never changes. Siena got some very wonderful little gifts from her family. Dutch wooden blocks, Lego Elmo, a dress, large plastic blocks, a mini vacuum and lots of other little things. She loved ripping the paper off and finding new treasures.
Christmas morning we woke up and had to do a little sledding on Siena's new sleigh. It wasn't too cold out there and we just HAD to break it in. It was precious. It was short-lived, but we all had fun, especially Siena!
Christmas Day was spent at my Grandpa and Grandma's house. Since they now live in GR, it was a simple drive down the street to their house - so wonderful! The rest of the family filed in throughout the day, and the condo was finally filled with 26 people...just the way we like it! Saturday, Sunday, and Monday was spent doing what we love most - playing games, watching sports, eating TONS of food, making fun and delicious drinks, and just being together. We had our yearly gift exchange, which is always fun. I can't say we DID tons more those next few days, but we were all happy to just hang out. Some of our favorite times...ever.
Four generations of girls!
My grandpa is so special...
Siena was very fond of my cousins...and liked her too! They loved not being the youngest anymore, I think! :)
Monday was spent returning/exchanging a few gifts and of course, stopping at Yesterdog. Siena had her first Yesterdog, and that was a monumental day. I promise that will not be the last Yesterdog you have, my darling. Treasure those moments!! Monday evening we had Christmas #3 with Mom, Peter, and that crew. It was a loud whirlwind, but oh so nice. It was fun to watch all the kids open their gifts and toys. It was even funnier to watch Siena try to keep up with the whirlwind. I think she was a little bit overwhelmed, as 7 kids ran around all over the place, playing and laughing...Siena just tried to stay in the mix and get in her laughs and quirks when she could. :) Siena got some very nice things there too! A wooden Noah's ark, some puzzles, a book, DVD, a hat, shoes...some really wonderful little keepsakes! After everyone left and Siena went to sleep, Ruth, Rene, Kari and Heather came over to play cards. I laughed REALLY HARD that night. You girls make me laugh...and I love it!


Tuesday, our last day before heading back to KC, was spent with Pappa and Joyce. The girls broke off and the boys went their separate way. I don't know why - shopping doesn't sound appealing?! We met all together for lunch and then again back at the house for dinner and Dominos. Great way to end the trip.
What a wonderful Christmas. It's such a blessing (and treat) to spend time in GR for the holidays. It's a special time for my family to spend quality time with Siena (and us too). I treasure that. We are blessed beyond measure and it's a wonderful time of the year. Siena was a trooper! We didn't slow down once while we were back there, and she just held on tight! She probably did better than I did, at times! Everyone loved little Siena - who wouldn't!? :)
Wednesday we headed back to KC. Sure, it's not a great (or entertaining) trip, but we knew we had a wonderful Christmas #4 ahead of us with Robert and Sharon. We were so excited to get back there and spend some relaxing time with them. Thursday morning we came down the stairs, as tradition has it, and came down to presents and stockings. Again, it's so fun to watch Siena open gifts and get excited about presents and wrapping paper. There were a couple of presents under the tree bigger than Siena, so that was a treat for her!! We had a great morning exchanging gifts. Siena got a play kitchen, a music station, her new favorite thing, Elmo, and some other fun little treats. We were given the newest member of our family...Betty. Betty and I are going to get along very well together. She and I will most likely spend a lot of time together. Betty is a Garmin. I will no longer get lost in downtown KC coming back from the next jury duty. I will also no longer miss the exit coming home from Michigan and add an additional hour to an already 10 hour drive. Betty might be my new best friend for life.
December is always a whirlwind and things go so fast. But, looking back on it, we are so incredibly blessed. Spending time in Michigan is always such a special time. Fond memories are made every time. Siena gets the chance to be with her Oma and Opa, Grammie and Grampie, and Auntie Em. I love that. Then, coming back to KC, we get to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa, the best in-laws ever. What more can I ask for? Merry Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment