Saturday, January 21, 2012

Announcing...

It is with no greater joy that Matt, Siena and I announce...
OUR FAMILY IS GROWING BY TWO FEET!!!!
Yep, we are having a baby!! We are so very excited and are blessed to be able to have another child in our life. Siena has been more of a blessing and joy than we could have ever dreamed. We can't wait to meet the newest member in May and watch as our family grows in love, happiness, and craziness!!! :)
Here's our story:
After Siena turned 2, we thought maybe we'd try to have another baby! We were excited about the idea, but weren't planning on having an easy road. We just didn't know and didn't want to assume anything. We called our Specialist to get some information and to see what our next step would be. We met with Dr. Stewart (whom we love!) and his response was basically you can decide what it looks like for you guys. We could try a few things that didn't work for us last time or we could cut straight to the chase and go with what worked and gave us Siena. We left the appointment excited and hopeful that something wonderful would come out of this.
Come to find out...we were pregnant when we went to the appointment and had NO idea. I took a test one morning before hopping in the shower, not really thinking much of it. How many have I taken and seen only 1 line! When I got out of the shower to look, Matt was waiting on the bed, ready to go to work that Monday morning. I peeked out from around the wall and just looked at him. He looked back at me and all we could do was giggle and say, "No way!" Nothing like God putting you in your place and saying, "See...watch what I can do!!" Yep. We were pregnant - all on our own. That was September 11, 2011.
I called the Specialist back that morning and her response was, "Weren't you just in here a couple days ago...we didn't do anything! Way to go - congratulations!!!!" We got the bloodwork done to confirm and had an ultrasound to make sure things looked good! All was great!! We were pregnant and due May 15!!!
From there, we set up appointments downtown with St. Luke's and got the ball rolling! We got Siena a Big Sister shirt (and told Siena it was her ABC shirt until we didn't care if the whole world knew - a secret is NOT safe with her!) and spread the news to the grandparents that way. Everyone was super excited - us being on the top of the list.
A couple weeks later, after we heard that precious heartbeat, we told Siena what all the excitement was about and how her world was going to change! For a 2-year-old brain, she seemed very excited and was bound and determined that it was a BOY. Why, we asked. "Because I'M the girl...that's the boy." Okay, well, there you have it. Since that initial reaction, she has gone back and forth about what she thinks "Mommy baby" is going to be. For the first while, it was all boy. Then, it switched to girl. Then it was one of each. :)
I felt great throughout the entire process. No real cravings to speak of. I thought I had a craving for about a week when greasy cheeseburgers sounded good. But, sometimes, when don't those sound good?! I thought that meant I was having a boy. When that subsided and didn't really last, and I realized how good I felt - just like with Siena, I started thinking it was another girl. Either way, we would have been thrilled. Seriously. A boy would have been a wonderful change and something different. A girl would mean Siena would have a sister. The best gift any girl can be given. So, we were good either way.
The week of Christmas, we were able to sneak in and have a doctor's appointment to find out the sex of the baby and check all the major organs and measurements. We didn't tell anyone about our appointment and thought it would be perfect for a Christmas present! Everything looked super healthy with our little darling. The heart looked good, the measurements came out right, the spine and head were great...we were so thrilled for that! A super healthy little baby. No better words. (I do have a case of placenta previa, which after finding out what that really means, is not a big deal and we will find out more about that later.)
Drum roll, please..............
WE ARE HAVING A...GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!
The second we found out, we were thrilled. Siena gets a sister. We know what to do with girls. We are having a baby girl! Yeah!! When we told Siena she was having a baby sister, she seemed to love the idea. And to hear Siena talk about her baby sister is precious. Our two girls are going to be exactly the same age apart that my sister and I are. My sister is my best friend and I don't know what I'd do without her. To think that Siena and her little sister will have that same opportunity is more of a blessing that I think I can even imagine right now.
Now, it's January 21 and I am over halfway there already! Man, it goes fast. It's true when people say that the second time around just flies by! I don't just sit around and wonder (and worry) about every little thing. And because I have felt so great (aside from being a little tired that first trimester), I just carry on with our daily routine and run after a 2-year-old!
I popped out quick with this one. I felt like I showed a lot faster. However, then I started to mellow out and didn't feel like I looked as pregnant as I was far along. Just in the past week, I feel like that is all evening out and I am feeling more and more pregnant. The whole bending down and putting on shoes and sitting on the floor thing is getting to me a bit more. Nature of the beast, right?!
Now we're thinking ahead to names (which is hard the second time around!) and getting Siena in a new room and what our summer is going to look like...and all kinds of other fun things. Sometimes it's hard to believe that it's actually happening and that we're going to have 2 little girls running around before we know it! WOW! How blessed are we...
To close, I think about the sweet moments with my girls. Siena prays for "Mommy Baby" every day. Siena talks to my tummy and will pull my shirt up to talk right at my belly button. She talks about sharing her toys (that remains to be seen) and showing her how to walk and go "peeps on the potty". She yells out that she's going to be a big sister in public places (yes, as in Papa Murphy's pizza). I can't wait. These two girls are helping shape my life as I type. I can't wait to meet this little love and watch her nuzzle her way into our family and make herself right at home. We love you, little darling. You are a gift from God and we love you dearly. Enjoy your time in there...for when you come out, it will not be as peaceful and quiet. You've got a wild ride ahead of you! :)

No comments: