Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The History

Twenty-two months ago, Matt and I decided we wanted to start a family!  It was a very exciting time that we both thought and prayed about...we were finally ready!  However, as we were about to find out, God's timing was slightly different than ours...
After almost a year of trying unsuccessfully to have a baby, we made an appointment with a doctor to just ask some questions.  At that point, we weren't really concerned...just a little impatient.  I was put on some medication and I went through a number of preventative procedures to check and make sure everything was working correctly and there weren't any "roadblocks" in our way.  All tests were coming back normal - and the doctors just said "...to keep trying and be patient..."
After "maxing out our resources" with my OB, we were referred to a specialist in Kansas in early June.  This was a very sensitive time for me and a time when I felt embarrassed, angry, confused, worried, impatient...you name it, I was feeling it.  But, both Matt and I really felt like this is what we were supposed to do and where God was taking us.
For six months, we tried a number of treatments and procedures without success.  We tried artificial insemination 4 times, each time hoping and praying for something to work.  After those did not work, we had to sit down with the doctor again and look at some other options.  Our two options at that point were OI (Ovulation Induction) or IVF (In Vitro Fertilization).  We knew that IVF would be our last option because of the cost.  After praying and talking with our friends and doctors, we decided to try the OI one time.  If that didn't work, we would move on to our "last shot."  
During OI, my body was forced to produce more eggs than the one I was producing naturally.  For a week and a half, Matt had the lovely job of giving me daily shots to help my body produce those eggs.  My body ended up creating 4 big eggs, 2 medium eggs, and 6 small eggs!  I had a dozen eggs!!  
I was inseminated on November 14 and then we had to wait for 2 LONG weeks to see if the OI procedure worked.  What we were about to find out would change our lives forever...

No comments: