Wednesday, September 7, 2011

PT!!!

I don't want to be one of those moms that talks about her kid's bodily functions all the time...who really wants to hear that anyway? I don't even want to hear about my own kid's nastiness, so I will spare most of the details...
However, there is one exception. And if you have ever gone through this experience, and succeeded, you know...it's worth the conversation. Ladies and gentlemen, Siena may officially be potty trained. There, I said it. I'm almost scared to post this due to the fact that last winter I also thought we were there. But this time, I think it's the real deal. Can you even believe it?!
Every once in a while, I would get brave and tale Siena to the store in panties or other places in public...to test her out. Most of the time, she did great. No major embarrassing moments. Or, unknown to me, Matt would stick her into the children's nursery at church with panties on and just hope for the best. That's riskier than I would have been, but that's why I love our partnership...and Siena rose to the challenge. But we wanted more than just "crossing our fingers and praying we wouldn't get mortified in public". :)
I guess it's true when they say it's really about when the KID is ready...not the parents. She really just decided one day that it was her time. She gets a "giddle" (skittle) for going "peeps" on the potty and a "sucka" for goings poops. I am sorry to share all that. And judge me if you like, but I was just about ready to do anything to get her trained. We'll work on getting off the "giddles" and suckers soon.
Oh, and one other thing about the training...I have always been told that you have to find something the child totally wants and is motivated by. The candy wasn't cutting it for a while, so I tried something else. At a consignment sale the other week I found a super cheap Leap Pad with a bunch of books. I thought she would totally love it. And I was right, especially the Dora and the Princess stories. So I went with it. If she had a dry day at Grandma and Grandpa's house all day, she got to play with Leap at night when we got home. She was super pumped to play with Leap, Lily, and Tad. So for a week, out of nowhere, she was dry! Mission accomplished!! That worked and now she just goes when she needs to and plays with Leap when she wants. It is lovely.
I am sure there are other horror stories that totally overshadow this one (and this one isn't even that bad), but to each his own. I think we got it. We'll disregard the little sickness she got right after getting trained and we had to put her back in a diaper for a week because, well, she just couldn't hold what was coming out. Oh, gross...I have crossed the line. I am done and that's over.
Congratulations, Siena!! Momma and Daddy are so very proud of you!! Way to go, girl! As you can tell, Siena is quite proud of herself too! As you should be, sweetheart...


No comments: