Today our Parent Educator came to the house to see Siena for the first time. As a teacher, I was really looking forward to meeting her and seeing what she had to say about Siena, her development, and what we could do to help her reach her little milestones and grow to be a smart, healthy little girl. From the moment Laurel walked in the house, I could tell it was going to go great. She was wonderful in every way. I got Siena out of her pack-n-play (she was resting up for her "big visit") and I introduced the two of them. Laurel took Siena in her arms and it was so neat to watch the two of them interact. Laurel was so natural with her and Siena was fascinated by her voice, her pictures, and just having a guest in the house.
Siena did a great job tracking the pictures that Laurel showed her. Laurel would show Siena a black and white picture and then move it from side to side. Siena would follow it all the way around. It brought little tears to my eyes to watch my little one grow and show signs of learning and intelligence already. I was so proud of her. It's amazing what a little 5-week old child can already do and comprehend! Laurel would talk to Siena and she even got a couple of real, on purpose smiles out of her! I couldn't stop smiling - just watching Siena was very special for me.
We put Siena on the floor for a little "tummy time" to see what she could do with her neck and back. Again, she just did so amazing! She lifted her head up and moved it around and just looked at everything. We put books up of black and white figures in her view and she looked at them and focused so well! And then, before we knew it...she rolled over!! It was completely by accident and it doesn't mean she can do it all the time, but because her neck is so strong and she was holding it up so long, her momentum just popped her right on to her back!
She also wowed us by using her ears. Laurel would shake a rattle on one side of her head. Siena would stop moving her arms and legs to focus on the sound. I guess that's what babies do when they hear sounds. Then, when the sound stops, babies will wiggle and move around again. But Siena took it one step further...she located the sound and turned her head toward the rattle. That really impressed Laurel (and me too)! I think part of it was also that the rattle was a basketball - and she's already interested in it and wants to play when she gets a little older! :) The other thing I was able to notice clearly was she knows my voice. That was really special moment for me when Laurel pointed that out...with me being the only one home with her every day, I don't always realize those things. And when Matt is home I'm focusing on her playing and recognizing him. So it was really cool for me to see her shift her head and look at me when I would talk with Laurel. We're bonding! :)
I got some great tips from Laurel and plan to really work with Siena to get that brain going and started in healthy patterns. Tummy time, showing her the pictures and having her track them, and reading books to Siena are all going to be part of her daily routine. Unfortunately, we have to wait 6 weeks for Laurel to come back, but we look forward to it already and will work on our activities until we meet again! Thanks, Laurel!!
12 years ago
2 comments:
Oh that's so fun! We love our PAT educator and the visits! Siena sounds so advanced already! :)
Sounds like Siena is doing great! We love our PAT educator, too. Taylor is always excited when she comes and Michael was quite interested in her last time too!
Post a Comment